Photosynthesis is the process by which plants convert light into energy (sugar). Chlorophyll is the molecule in plants that reacts with light. It reacts to specific wavelengths of light that are measured by nanometers or “color temperate”. GSky recommends lighting with a color temperature of 4,500K to produce healthy plants.
Producing an even flood that does not have “hot spots” and “cold spots” on the wall is vital to the success of the Versa Wall. If uneven lighting occurs, the wall’s watering requirements will change and be uneven across the wall as well. This all lends to difficult maintenance and owner strife. An even distribution of light across the wall is crucial to the wall’s success.
• Light Intensity > 150 Foot Candles (1500 lux)
• Color Temperature =+4,300 Color Temperature
• Lighting should produce an even distribution of light across the wall
• LED is recommended (Metal Halide is an option)
• Minimum distance of 5’ for non-LED lighting
• Timer required to produce 10-12 hours of light
Plant Design Process
1) Ongoing discussion with owners/architects about design intent for the space.
2) Evaluate the site and environmental conditions for plant material.
3) Formulate the plant design concept with suggested plants once the shop drawing sign-off is obtained.
4) Once design concept is finalized and approved the realistic install date is established so plants can be secured.
5) Plants and materials are sent to the nursery who will plant it up into the final design to grow for the agreed upon time which depends on the time of year and region and plants desired.